16 February 2008

a letter to my little man.

oh my little man...
i cannot wait until you can talk with me.
we spend our days and hours together...
communicating the best we can.
we get by.
and every day it gets easier as you learn new words and figure out this talking business.

yes...you can tell me a few things...
and i love it when you do.
you tell me when you're cold...
or when you want a snack...
or what you think about diaper changes (which isn't much)...
but beyond the few words you can say...
and the emotions you can express through your vocal chords (usually in the form of tears)...
well...that's about it.

of course...you do have conversations with me...
and i love to see your facial expressions
and hear you describe the world around you in your own little elijah-man language.
you tell me, with such animation, all about your truck or the airplane ("ai-pain") in the sky or about how you put ducky in the dryer all by yourself...
it is seriously the cutest thing i have ever seen.
and my little love...i try so hard to understand your sweet babble.
i just can't wait until that babble turns into words and i can hear... in your own words and pronunciations...
your thoughts and experiences...
your questions and feelings...
your likes and dislikes...

that will be a good day.

oh...i know it won't happen overnight.
but i know someday soon...
i'm going to have a little boy walk up to me and say:
"hey mama...watch this!"
and you know what?
that little boy will be you.
and i'll be so proud of you...

just like i am now...
my sweet boy.
i love you.

No comments: