15 January 2010
my big three year old...
i call them memory posts...because they help me remember all the precious little tidbits of life that seem to get sucked into the neverland of my brain.
so...this memory post is about elijah man. my little dude.
he's three now.
he is such a BIG boy.
every day, he amazes me...and i love that.
yesterday, he said the word "earth" correctly. and while that may not sound like much to most, his utterance of that little word stopped my tedious scrubbing of the kitchen floor. i looked at him, and asked him to say it again. he said, "what? earth?" just like that. not "erff", which is how it's been said since that word entered his vocabulary, but "earTH". i am proud of him, yes, but also a little sad. it's another fragment of my baby boy that has been whisked away by that dreadful process of growing up. speaking of talking, he is a chatterbox! he's always going on about something...usually, the latest truck he needs for his collection. i'll do my best to remember his sweet, little voice during his sullen, teenage years...
- curious george. books or the television show...he doesn't care. he just loves that monkey. we went to the library the other day and without any guidance from me, he marched himself and lucy (in the stroller) ahead of me over to the exact section where the curious george books are stashed. he pulled out a couple and i could hear his little voice telling his sister, "look 'ucy! it's curious george! this one is the one that he goes to park with the dump truck..." and on and on and on...
- trucks, trucks and more trucks. lately, he can't get enough of his mac trucks (from the movie "cars"...he has three and is always telling me that he needs a blue one.). he also loves construction vehicles and tractors. and though dirt bikes and motorcycles have been left to collect a bit of dust in favor of four wheeled vehicles, i have a feeling they won't remain in their bin forever.
- his ducky. he still drags that blue duck around with him everywhere. i wonder when he will outgrow him? that will be a sad day...
- his buddy connor. i love that they get along SO well. they are fabulous friends. that is one playdate during which i don't ever have to worry about him or wear the referee hat. it's a good thing i like his mom so much!
- asking "how come?". this is my lil man's version of "why?". most days it drives me crazy, but i really try to encourage his curiosity and to answer him as best i can.