12 April 2007

you count far more than birds.

woke up yesterday morning to a little "tap tap, tap tap" on my arm. i opened one eye and there was elijah, gently patting my arm as if to say "momma, momma, wake up! it's morning!" so cute. (yes, he was in our bed...which doesn't happen very often but when he woke up for his 5am feeding, he was so cute and cuddly that i just had to snuggle with him. i figure he's only little once right? plus...he's not really big on cuddling so i'll take it when i can get it.)

just wanted to share this excerpt from my devotional. i really needed to hear it so i figured i wasn't the only one who could benefit from this wonderful reminder.

if you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. there is far more to your life than food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. and you count far more than birds.

has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? all this time and money wasted on fashion--do you think it makes that much difference? instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. they never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? the ten best dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them.

if God gives such attention to the apperarance of wildflowers--most of which are never even seen--don't you think He'll attend to you, take pride in you, do His best for you?"
(matthew 6.25-30, the message)

i love the way the message puts it, especially the line: "careless in the care of God". not careless in the typical sense of the word...but with its literal meaning..."without care". man...i wish i was like that. "without a care in the world"...so trusting in God...never doubting that He will sustain me, "attend to me, take pride in me, do His BEST for me". God's best for me. why is that so hard to accept? to comprehend even?

You, O God, are an awesome and holy God who loves and continually blesses Your children. You are powerful and amazing. the artistry of Your creation stirs my heart, even though my small mind can't fathom the vast universe You spoke into existence. all of creation gives You praise and honor! day after day and night after night, Your glory and amazing love show through all that You have made.

i cannot hide from You, for You are everywhere and You show up in everything i do. o God, i long for You to be the focus of my life instead of my focus being the temporary objects i crave. fix my heart on You. open my eyes to see all You havve blessed me with. make me more grateful for the things i take for granted. Lord, please humble me. focus all my attention on You so i don't focus on myself. draw me away from meaningless earthly things and closer to Your side.


amen.

No comments: